Exploding Egg

The Art of Fan Videos

If you’ve spent any time hunting around YouTube for video interviews or clips from bands, actors, political figures or any other phenomenon out there, you’ve probably come across a fan video or two.

These things seem to come in some general formats — including pictures overlaid on a music background, video clips overlaid on a music background, or the use of dialogue from clips as a way to investigate relationships between characters.

A goal of the first two formats seems to be to ogle the famous person of your choice, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Another is to make people laugh, which I think is great.

Copyright discussions aside, these things seem to be an interesting little entertainment category all their own. And they range very widely in quality.

In the Jeremy Northam fan video cluster, I’ve noticed one particular creator is just amazingly talented at building film clip and music videos that fit together in a seamless and very well thought out manner. Her tag is BlueSoul007. Here’s one she did for Northam’s work playing Sir Thomas More in The Tudors:

I got thinking about this because cardiffgiant01 posted a Northam Miami Medical fan video a day or two ago about Doctor Proctor, which made me laugh for its amusing musical cut-in. And my friend Gill over at The Jer Blog has a nice post about it here: Jeremy Northam makes Dr Proctor Miami Medical’s greatest asset. Here’s the video:

As for the pictures to music type of fan video, here’s a tasteful example done for Northam’s work by princessamerigo on YouTube:

There’s also quite a few out there for Thomas Gibson, who plays SSA Aaron Hotchner on Criminal Minds. This one, created by Centurienne, with him waving a gun around to some James Bond music, made me laugh and is also well done and fun.

The ones that investigate relationships between characters in a show are also pretty interesting. If you’re obsessed with a show like NCIS, for instance, sometimes it’s useful to go back and see how two characters have interacted over time. Like this one made by Cassanlynx for Abby and Gibbs on NCIS:

I find it interesting how much time people put into making videos like this. It certainly must be a labor of love. And as a surfer and viewer I find them useful and interesting to watch, even if they’re not something that the entertainment companies had intended.

They’re sort of a way to categorize bits of information in an entertaining way — for instance the Sir Thomas More one sort of brings you through the development of the character in a span of about six and a half minutes. That’s handy if you’ve watched the series a couple of times and find yourself pondering about the details of one character, or if you want to study how a talented actor like Northam worked through the role during the series.

Hopefully the video companies won’t try to interfere with these folks and their hobbies. I think it’s probably good public relations for them and could help sell DVDs of their shows or what-not. But we do live in the age of the lawsuit, and I’m sure some of them have already fallen under the axe of corporate power.

I’d love to hear anybody’s thoughts or see links to other producers of these things that they like.

Enjoy!
-SueVo

Update: Cardiffgiant01 just finished another Miami Medical one. It’s here:

Here’s the Words in the Eyes one by princessamerigo that Glaros mentioned in the comments (it’s another very nice music one):

And… another one from princessamerigo about Miami Medical today (Tuesday):

About these ads

April 19, 2010 - Posted by | Criminal Minds, Miami Medical, Reviews | , , , , , , ,

8 Comments »

1. Great post, Sue, enjoyed reading it! I’d love to be able to make fan vids myself. The people that make good ones are so talented. It looks easy, but it’s not at all!

Comment by henrysmummy2003 | April 19, 2010 | Reply

2. Yeah I’ve been wondering what software they use to put these together. I’ve tried a little video editing in the past, and you’re right, it isn’t easy at all.

Comment by SueVo | April 19, 2010 | Reply

3. [...] The Art of Fan Videos « Exploding Egg // April 19, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Reply [...]

Pingback by Jeremy Northam makes Dr Proctor Miami Medical’s greatest asset « The Jer Blog, all about Jeremy Northam | April 19, 2010 | Reply

4. Love this post Sue! There are a couple of terrific fan vids from Bryan Fuller’s shows, I’ll see if I can find a few links for you.

Comment by gaylec | April 19, 2010 | Reply

5. My favourite fan video on YouTube is “Words in the Eyes” of princessamerigo about “The Winslow Boy”. I had seen the film only once, ten years ago, but when I came across her beautiful video I needed to see the film again (and buy the DVD to be able to see the original version).

I think “Words in the Eyes” is an example of a brilliantly composed video. It has got its own dramaturgy, it’s a little film of its own where the pictures and the music perfectly fit together.

Comment by Glaros | April 19, 2010 | Reply

6. Cool Gayle, Thanks :)
    Yeah I saw that Words in the Eyes one, Glaros — you’re right. It’s very well done also. And a good investigation of those two particular characters.

Comment by SueVo | April 19, 2010 | Reply

7. Hey there!

First off, VERY cool of you to post my video up on your blog page! Glad I could share it with people because it seems the nation of youtube isn’t too familiar with the Hot Doc yet… It’s very unfortunate. I searched and searched and couldn’t find any M.M. fan video’s so I just had to make one. And, well, now I’m hooked and have made my second one in just 2 days. Sad? Yes, I think so. lol.
    Anyways I’m going to keep making them and hopefully spread the word out there so we’ll see many more to come in the future from other youtubers out there.

And for those of you who commented saying you’d like to be able to make your own videos, well, I won’t sugar coat it; you’re right, it is hard work. And its frustrating, and tedious, and extremely time consuming. A 60second video will take the average vidder about an entire day, if not longer, to make. BUT, when it’s all finished and people you don’t even know are giving you positive feedback about it and taking the time to appreciate you, well, it’s a great feeling and before you know it you’re on to making the next video! (Did I mention its addicting? lol).
    Now I’m just anxiously waiting for new episodes so I can take a more ‘serious’ approach on a video; because as of right now they pretty much only focus on how hot Jeremy Northam is. …Not that there’s anything wrong with that ;)

Okay, anyway, this comment is getting far too long. I really just stopped by to say thanks, I swear. So, Thanks! Bye!

Comment by cardiffgiant01 | April 19, 2010 | Reply

8. Thanks Cardiff! Love the new one – the bit with him walking in with the coffee is hilarious :)
    Not sad at all — very cool. Good work.

Comment by SueVo | April 19, 2010 | Reply